Celebrating Life In The New Year Means Finding Opportunities To Appreciate Yourself And All The Little Things That Make Each Day Special
A new year has begun, and it’s traditionally a time to celebrate. With all the political, financial, social, and health turmoil this past year, you’re probably happy that it’s over. Pegasus home health care professionals in Ventura and elsewhere suggest celebrating life itself in the new year.
January starts with Celebration of Life Week, beginning the Celebration of Life Month. It’s a reminder to show appreciation for everyone you love. But it’s also recognition that despite whatever happens, being alive is a blessing.
Appreciate Who You Are
You probably made the usual resolutions to eat better, exercise more, and be kinder to others. Consider resolving to take more time to appreciate yourself as a unique and incredible individual. Change your focus from what you do to who you are.
It’s okay to look forward to the time when things will be different. But you’re alive now. Now is the time to celebrate every day regardless of what your life is currently like.
Avoid telling yourself that life will be good when this or that happens or changes. Doing so programs you to be dissatisfied with how things are now. You can overcome dwelling in the future by making an effort to do one thing you enjoy each day.
Keep in mind that most lasting enjoyment comes from little things. You don’t have to schedule a major activity or project to savor life. Think about what makes you feel good, then do it.
For example, read a few pages in a book before going to bed. Try a new recipe. Just sit back in your recliner and take a few deep breaths.
Celebrate Your Life Every Day
Each day might seem like boring routine to you and not worth celebrating. But every day that you’re alive is a special day. Consider these suggestions for bringing meaning to everyday living:
- Celebrate the start of each day. Give thanks for each new day before you even get out of bed. Take a few extra minutes of pleasure with your morning routine.
- Stop taking yourself for granted. Perhaps you do many chores or activities daily by rote. Stop and congratulate yourself on all the little things you do well each day.
- Show appreciation to others. Perhaps you take coworkers or life partners for granted. You might not notice the little things they do for you. It’s a win/win situation when you say thank you to someone for even the smallest task.
- Break out of your routine. Reward yourself with something special when you’ve achieved a goal. Your reward can be small, but try to make it out of the ordinary if you can. Recognizing your accomplishment is what’s important, not the magnificence of your celebration.
- Celebrate the end of each day. Even if not everything went your way, your day was still filled with blessings. Give thanks for each one.
Celebrating yourself and your life requires awareness of daily events. As a bonus, it also increases recognition of all that’s good in living.
You Can Still Celebrate Life In Times Of Grief
It can be challenging to think of celebrating when you’re stressed over events in your life. Like many individuals, you may have suffered devastating losses during the past few months. You need to mourn your losses.
Although grief is generally associated with death, there are numerous other causes of profound sadness. Start with identifying the source of your grief. Then recognize that your feelings are valid.
Expressing your grief over your loss allows the healing process to begin. Suggestions include, but are not limited to:
- Talking, either to a professional or in a support group
Coping with loss and grief makes nurturing yourself essential. Part of that is celebrating your small successes each day.
Spending time with yourself helps you start celebrating life again. Although not always, being with yourself often involves simple activities. Listening to music is one way that many individuals celebrate being alive.
There is no limit to ways to feel good about life, even when things seem dark. Listening to a comedian carries you away from daily cares. Treat yourself to a little luxury like a special shampoo.
Nature Provides Unlimited Ways To Celebrate Life
Turn to nature for an infinite selection of pleasurable activities. You’ll find much to celebrate when you:
- Go for a walk, even a short stroll around the block
- Install a bird feeder where you can observe what visits it
- Look at clouds and create pictures from the shapes
- Look at stars and think about the constellations and stories behind them
- Put a flowering plant on a windowsill
- Watch the sunrise and set
Of course, all these can be shared with others. Although you need times alone, sharing is part of expressing love and celebrating life.
Pegasus is a licensed Home Care Organization and a Joint Commission Accredited Home Health Care organization. Our home health care experts in Ventura and our other locations are dedicated to increasing your quality of life. We appreciate the privilege of serving you, and we invite you to join us in celebrating life.